Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Unit 4

I hope everyone had a great Memorial weekend. Here in Iowa it was nice with no rain to mention.

This week in seminar we talk about plagiarism and in-text citations. I don't understand why anyone would deliberately plagiarize anyone. I don't think the benefits outweigh the consequences. If you don't learn how write properly you will never get into a management position. Most managers have to be able to write reports to give or email their bosses and if they can't write their bosses aren't going to take them seriously and they won't have their job for long. I had an office manager's position and my boss had me doing the budget work for the new budget year. Then he would present it to his boss. His boss figured out that my boss wasn't doing the budget and worse wasn't even reviewing it. He told my boss that next budget review just send Rebecca so she can answer my questions. My boss really didn't learn his lesson; he just had me put together an explanation sheet so he could answer the questions. Sometimes the 'Men's Club' is hard to break into.

In-text citations do take some getting used to. When I was in high school and even the first two years of college we used footnotes and typewriters. Footnotes were a pain at the bottom of the page but I was taught that only direct quotations had to be put on the bottom. If you paraphrased you only had to put it on the footnote page at the back. There was no reference page because the information was covered in the footnotes. I like in-text citations better.

There is not much else happening in my corner of the world. My soon to be granddaughter had to get glasses for reading. I think she's cute, but she says not…. So here is her picture, please let me know what you think.

Hope everyone has a good week. See you on the discussion boards.


1 comment:

  1. Adorable! I think all kids look so cute in glasses!

    ReplyDelete